I make meatballs a lot! One, because they are super easy to make and two, because my kids LOVE them. I wanted to make them a little different from my usual meatballs so I decided to pick up some fresh ground lamb and go with a Mediterranean theme. I had a ton of cucumbers in my refrigerator so I decided to make some fresh tzatziki dip and just have a spread of yummy foods that when all combined make a delicious meal (that is quick and easy of course!).
–Chobani Greek Yogurt
-2 medium cucumbers, finely chopped
-1/2 cup fresh dill, minced
-2-3 cloves garlic, minced
-Juice of freshly squeezed lemons (2-3 lemons, add more at end to taste)
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Add more more of any of the ingredients to get desired taste.
2. Refrigerate for one hour before serving, I find it sets all of the ingredients together to give the best taste.
I usually just eyeball the ingredients but here are some guidelines to follow.
-1lb ground lamb
-1 garlic clove, finely chopped
-1/2 cup whole grain breadcrumbs
-1/2 cup quick oats
-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
-spices – I use premixed spices from a Greek Restaurant where I grew up, but it is just salt, pepper, oregano & paprika
-1/4 cup water (this is what keeps the meatballs moist!)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all ingredients together and mix with hands.
3. Form into medium size balls and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 25-30 min. until golden brown. Flip halfway through baking.
Serve with warm pita, olives, cucumbers, tomato, olive oil, balsamic glaze, avocado, fresh lemon, baby spinach leaves and whatever other items you desire!